Seashell Crafts Ideas: How to make a seashell mirror.
Are your customers asking you what they can do with all the natural seashells they have collected and purchased? Why not suggest they add a seashell mirror to a room in their home. If your customers enjoy seashell crafts, suggest they make a shell mirror.
Instructions: First decide what size shell mirror would best fit the space: 16 inches x 20 inches, 11 inches x 14 inches or 8 inches x 10 inhes shell mirror. You can use an old wooden framed mirror and dress it up with beautiful mixed shells
or purchase a mirror frame from your local craft store.
Supplies Needed: A glue gun or craft glue. A selection of small craft shells, tiny shells for crafts, clams, scallops and pecten shells, natural starfish and, small sand dollars
, clear glaze, flat edge razor, paper towels and glass cleaner.
1) Start at a corner and lay out your craft shells on the mirror frame, but do not glue them down until you are satisfied with the layout, as you will not easily be able to make changes if you don't like your layout. I prefer using pectens, scallops and clam shells
on the base layer as they lay flat and have a ruffled look. However, you can use whatever mixed shells you have available.
2) Once you like the look of your base layer of shells, glue them down. You are now ready for adding your second layer of pretty mixed seashells. Again lay out the next layer using a blend of tiny shells
, and small craft shells
. After you are happy with the arrangement, glue the seashells down. To finish your mirror off, add tiny seashells to any exposed areas of the frame and add natural starfish
as accents to the mirror and also you can add a couple sea urchins to the corners.
3) Cover the mirror portion with aluminum foil and spray the seashells on the frame with a clear glaze. This brings out the colors of the shells and allows for easier cleaning.
4) Use your flat edge razor and remove all glue residue from the mirror, and finish cleaning the shell mirror with glass cleaner.
5) Your beautiful seashell mirror is ready to be hung.
Visit our Pinterest Boards for more ideas and inspiration!